Oops–late with this post because this week has been ridiculously crazy! End of the quarter, testing, late work, and Field Day all conspired to keep me from doing this post on time. *sigh* Thank goodness for Spring Break!
Welcome to Week #4 of the Kiss Me, I’m Irish read-along! We’re reading HOUNDED by Kevin Hearne, one of my favorite new Urban Fantasy series. If you haven’t read his first three novels, why not? Holy cow, they’re awesome!
March 02nd: Chapters 1-5 hosted by Geeky Blogger’s Book Blog March 09th: Chapters 6-10 hosted by On a Book Bender March 16th: Chapters 11-15 hosted by Smash Attack Reads! March 23rd: Chapters 16-20 hosted by In the Closet With a Bibliophile
March 30th: Chapters 21-25 + epilogue hosted by The Unread Reader
April 06th: Special interview with Kevin Hearne & announcement of winners
Questions for Chapters 21-25 + epilogue
1. In a moment of anger, Atticus reveals something about himself that he usually keeps very secret, for his own benefit. Has something similar ever happened to you? Have you ever spilled a closely guarded secret in a moment of excitement or anger or absent-mindedness?
All the time. Okay, maybe they’re not big, massive secrets but they’re something I’ve thought, “Oh, I’m not going to tell anyone this because what if it doesn’t happen?” and then I end up spilling. Usually to my mother or under the influence of adult beverages.
2. Atticus tells Mrs. MacDonagh, “the universe is exactly the size that your soul can encompass. Some people live in extremely small worlds, and some live in a world of infinite possibility.” Then he asks her what she is going to do with the new information she has discovered. What would you do if you found out that other beings were among us? Would you deny it or embrace it?
I’d so embrace it and probably see if there was some way I could join their world. I mean, there is magic in the world, though it’s not in the way most Urban Fantasies portray it. But…wouldn’t it be just so cool if there really were Fae or people with extraordinary powers? Scary, depending on the person, but so flippin’ cool. (Okay, I’m a total nerd. I admit it.)
3. So far, Atticus has revealed a few of his powers and has even shared some power by putting bindings on Granuaile. What do you think has been his coolest or most helpful power so far?
I’ve always liked the idea of Druids themselves–not extremists who were into human sacrifice but the people who embraced the world and all its majesty. So, I really like Atticus’s connection to the world around him and how he uses the earth to recharge. I really like when he reaches out to the earth to help it heal. Of course, it’s completely awesome when he gets all nekkid and really “connects” with the earth. If only I were his neighbor…with a telephoto lens… (stalker alert!)
4. Atticus gets pretty pissed when he finds out that Aenghus Óg is drawing power from the Earth and, in turn, killing it. That’s when Atticus decides he must fight the old Fae for committing such a heinous offense. What is something you would fight for, even if it meant you might die trying?
When I look at political candidates, I look at their record with education and with the environment, both of which need to be improved and fought for. While I might not be committed enough to actually *die* for these causes, they are two that are very close to my heart. Oh, and my dogs. I don’t have human kids so they’re as close as I’m probably going to get for a while.
5. What did you think of the final showdown between Atticus and Aenghus Óg? Did it go down the way you expected? Was there anything about their battle that surprised you?
While I expected Atticus to get his butt kicked at first, I didn’t really expect Aengus Og to really almost win. That cold fire…bad stuff. I was worried for a minute there. Of course, Atticus *is* only human (sort of) so he’s a lot less powerful than ole Aengus but I kind of thought he’d kick butt a bit harder than he did. It was a serious struggle for him to win.
6. What was your favorite/least favorite part of Hounded? Who was your favorite/least favorite character?
I really don’t like the witches. Even the ones who end up helping Atticus (reluctantly). They’re too clique-y and unwilling to do the right thing and have to be practically blackmailed into helping. Bitches.
I ADORE the Widow MacDonagh. I’d gladly go sip some Irish whiskey with that woman. And Oberon, of course. He’s awesome. And those scum-sucking lawyers of Atticus’s. Oh, and Granuaile, who’s really growing on me. Truly, the secondary characters in this whole series are fantastically drawn.
7. What do you think is coming up next for Atticus? Will you continue reading this series, and if so, what do you hope to see happen in the next book?
While I’ve read all three of the books that are out, I really can’t wait for TRICKED, which comes out April 24th (YAYAYAY!!). I hear they’re leaving Arizona, a necessity after Atticus’s last battle (so not smart, in my mind). I’m just hoping he doesn’t get himself killed. He’s skating a really fine line at the moment and, after book 3, I’m sure there are plenty of bounties on his head. I hope his relationship with Granuaile continues to develop. I hope he finds friends like the Widow MacDonagh where he’s going. I hope he finds a way for Oberon to live forever with him because I’d be super-sad if that fab dog died because of something stupid Atticus did.
Kiss Me, I’m Irish ReadAlong Week 4
Kiss Me, I’m Irish ReadAlong Week 3
Kiss Me, I’m Irish ReadAlong Week 2
Kiss Me, I’m Irish ReadAlong Week 1
Latest posts by Mary @ TheBookSwarm (see all)