Today, I have a special guest: Gracie from UNTRACEABLE by S.R. Johannes (check out my review HERE). This girl is the ultimate Wilderness Girl, able to scale tall mountains with only a compass and a stick of chewing gum (okay, maybe I overstated it a bit), and the girl who you want giving you tips on how to survive in the wilderness. So, without further ado, here’s Gracie!
Grace’s wilderness tips
Grace, from Untraceable, is here to share some basic tips in the wilderness.
“Don’t go.” Grace giggles. “Just kidding. If you are going hiking and camping, there are a few things you can do to be safe.”
1) Plan where you are going and tell someone where you are going. Leave a map and instructions on how long you plan to be gone and what to do if you don’t come back in time.
2) Check the weather and plan accordingly. Don’t test nature – she will always win.
3) Get the right clothing and shoes. (Converse are NOT the best hiking shoes.)
4) If you don’t have to, don’t hike alone. (Though I do not follow that rule.)
5) Pack the right gear – always take a knife, first aid kit, map, compass, water, food, matches, flashlight, batteries, and a tarp of some kind that is a bright color. (Moonpies are a great snack.)
6) Always walk loudly so animals hear you. You don’t want to surprise a bear. Trust me on that one.
7) If you come upon a wild animal, don’t run.
8) If you get lost, don’t keep walking. Sit down and don’t panic.
9) Make sure you are not allergic to trees or leaves. If you are, stay home.
10) Whatever happens, don’t freak out. That can put you in a more dangerous situation when you are not thinking straight.
Hope that helps.
See you in the woods. Then again, I’ll see you but you probably won’t know I’m there.
Unless I want you to…
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
S.R. Johannes lives in Atlanta Georgia with her dog, British-accented husband, and the huge imaginations of their little prince and princess, which she hopes- someday- will change the world. After earning an MBA and working in corporate America, S.R. Johannes traded in her expensive suits, high heels, and corporate lingo for a family, flip-flops, and her love of writing. You can find her hanging out online and visit her at srjohannes.com.
Author Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SRJohannes/249888602550
Personal Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/srjohannes
Author Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5235537.S_R_Johannes
Book Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12731861-untraceable
Latest posts by Mary @ TheBookSwarm (see all)
- Insta(re)gram: The Pirate Queen by Barbara Sjoholm - June 8, 2017
- Insta(re)gram: I’m Judging You by Luvvie Ajayi - June 6, 2017
- Insta(re)gram: Random Book Mail - June 4, 2017